Recipe – Nectarine Cupcakes
Cupcake enthusiasts will love this recipe using in season nectarines! The recipe makes a dozen.
- 2 medium nectarines, peeled, halved, pitted, and finely chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Let the butter warm up to room temperature and set your oven to preheat at 180 degrees.
- While it’s doing that, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir together the milk and vanilla.
- Using a mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and sugar for about 3 minutes until fluffy. Then, with mixer running, add the eggs
- Beat in flour mixture in 3 portions with the milk mixture going in in 2 portions after 1 and 2 of the flour mixture.
- Place a dozen paper baking cups on a standard muffin tray and fill each with 1 tablespoon of the batter, 1 heaped tablespoon of the chopped nectarines, then a further 2 tablespoons of batter in that order.
- Bake about 25 minutes until the edges start to go golden and let them cool in the tin.
- You can top cool cupcakes with whipped cream and thinly slice another nectarine for garnish.
Note: Using baking powder instead of ordinary baking soda (bicarb) avoids the tang you can get from baking soda if you accidentally use a touch too much. Baking powder has a neutral taste so it suits recipes with other neutral-tasting ingredients like milk.