Here’s a great way to enjoy the meatiness of eggplant and, by using it as a substitute for meat, you can cater to the vegetarians in your life. It’s a mere 10 minutes to prepare and 15 minutes to cook.
- 3/4 cup of your favourite pasta
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 3 cups of fresh spinach, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup and ½ cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- cracked black pepper to taste
- Add the pasta to a pot of boiling lightly salted water. Cook until aldente (8 to 10 minutes) then drain. Keep warm.
- While the pasta’s cooking, you can start the rest of the dish by heating the olive oil and butter in a frying pan or skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, and cook and stir until softened. Mix in the eggplant. Let the eggplant cook for 5 minutes without stirring. Then stir while cooking for a further 5 minutes or until tender.
- Mix in the spinach and add salt and pepper to taste. Cook and stir occasionally for 2-3 minutes, then stir in the drained pasta and lemon juice plus the 1/2 cup of Parmesan. Transfer to a serving dish and top with the remaining ¼ cup of cheese and cracked black pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!